I came across this survey from Jamie at the Perpetual Page Turner and thought it would be a fun way to summarize the books I’ve read this year. I still might do a best-of post, but for now I find this format fun and unique and something I’ve not tried here before. So, here we go!
Number Of Books You Read: 114
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Several come to mind but the most obvious is Landline.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Good surprising – Above – did NOT see that one coming. Bad surprising – tie between Maisie Dobbs and A Share in Death (not yet reviewed) – two series beginnings I’d been told for years I HAD to read, neither of which wowed me.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
It might be cheating to say The Three because it was my book club pick, but I’m going with it.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Cheryl Strayed, Jo Walton, Karen Joy Fowler, Andy Weir – do I have to pick just one?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Mark Whatney from The Martian.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Tiny Beautiful Things.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
I read a lot of really great thought-provoking books this year, especially non-fiction, but I’d have to say Killing the Black Body just because it was SO far away from what I thought I knew about the world – it opened my eyes in a very unexpected way.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
The Beauty Myth – I’d been planning on reading this for YEARS – like, since freshman year of college – and why did I keep putting it off?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
Oh man. I don’t have any of these in front of me to quote but I’ll say that I could pick a LOT from Tiny Beautiful Things, This is the Story of a Happy Marriage, and Yes Please by Amy Poehler (not yet reviewed).
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
The Answer to Bad Religion is Not No Religion was the shortest. Longest would be The Lonely Polygamist which may not count since it was an audiobook, in that case the longest print was The Valley of Amazement – both of which were way too freaking long.
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
I have to go with Jess and Ed from One Plus One.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Cormoran Strike and Robin from the Robert Galbraith books.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
More Than This. This is the Story of a Happy Marriage.
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, hands down. (thanks Jill!)
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
I have to say A.J. Fikry – I’m not into crushing on fictional characters much but he is too adorable not to love. Can I crush on a non-fictional character? If so … Rob Lowe. I love that guy.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
All I Love and Know
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
My Real Children.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
House of Bathory – I thought I’d hate it, totally different from what I usually read, but it actually ended up being good.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Lonely Polygamist – mad that I’d wasted so much time on this book I ended up hating.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Quiet by Susan Cain – EVERYONE has been raving about this and I really plan to read it in January. It sounds exactly like the kind of book I’d love.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Honestly I barely pay attention to what’s coming out these days. I’ll have to wait and see what other bloggers recommend and what looks good at the library.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Is Robert Galbraith/J.K. Rowling writing another book for next year? If so, that. If not, I have no idea.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Read more of my own books! I have way too many books at home that I’ve been trying for years to get to. I really truly need to prioritize reading some of these.